Dr Louise Abayomi
+44 (0)1634 88 3734
Dr Louise Abayomi is a member of the Foods and Markets group within the Natural Resources Institute of the University of Greenwich and is a Senior Research Fellow in Postharvest Technology and Marketing Systems. She is certified with HACCP Level 4 for Food Safety for Manufacturing, BRC Version 8 Lead Auditor. Louise is certified Professional Trainer, and a member of the Society of Chemical Industry (SCI); the International society for tropical root crops (ISTRC); the International Society for Horticultural Science (ISHS); and Association of Applied Biologists (AAB).
With 20 years of experience in postharvest systems, of which 10 years were within the private sector, Dr Abayomi has postharvest handling experience across both perishable and durable crops; the management, application, and implementation of appropriate technology within value chains; NPD involving fortification and flour composites, including development of product specifications. As well as long-term research and development, Louise also undertakes short-term assignments for the private sector, including various strategic organisations such as the United Nations International Development Programme (UNIDO), UK Department for International Development (DfID, now FCDO), and the World Food Programme (WFP) in various areas across the food system continuum.
Scholarly interest in postharvest quality and impact of climate and technology; food systems and food environment; practical low-cost tools for quality management; fortification and NPD; standards and compliance; processing and operations management in value chain development
Training and capacity building for value chain development; HACCP; Quality Management
- 2008-2012 DfID: ASEC programme- Ensuring Compliance Increases Trade for Developing Countries
- 2008-2019 Bill and Melinda Gate’s Foundation: Cassava Adding Value for Africa (C: AVA I/II)
- 2009-2012 EU-ACP: Science and Technology for Enhancing the Contribution of Roots and Tubers to Development in ACP Countries project
- 2010-2014 EU EDES programme- Strengthening Food Safety in Africa, the Caribbean and Pacific
- 2011-2015 EU: Gains through Losses of Roots and Tubers (GRATITUDE) project
- 2011-2016 Bill and Melinda Gate’s Foundation: Yam Improvement for Income and Food Security in West Africa (YIIFSWA)
- 2012 DfID: GEMS3 (Growth and Employment in States) programme
- 2013-2018 Bill and Melinda Gate’s Foundation: Cassava Growth Markets (G-Markets)
- 2018-2021 UN World Food Programme: Various
6 (x2 current)
- Omohimi, C., Piccirillo, C., Ferraro, V., Roriz, M. C., Omemu, M. A., Santos, S. M. D., Da Ressurreição, S., Abayomi, L., Adebowale, A., Vasconcelos, M. W., Obadina, O., Sanni, L., Pintado, M. M. E. (2019). Safety of Yam-Derived (Dioscorea rotundata) Foodstuffs - Chips, Flakes and Flour: Effect of Processing and Post-Processing Conditions. Foods 8: 1.
- Omohimi, C. I., Piccirillo, C., Roriz, M., Ferraro, V., Vasconcelos, M. W., Sanni, L. O., Tomlins, K., Pintado, M. M., Abayomi, L. A. (2018). Study of the proximate and mineral composition of different Nigerian yam chips, flakes and flours. Journal of Food Science and Technology, 55 (1):42-51
- Lamboll, R., Martin, A., Sanni, L., Adebayo, K, Graffham, A., Kleih, U., Abayomi, L., Westby, A. (2018). Shaping, adapting and reserving the right to play: Responding to uncertainty in high quality cassava flour value chains in Nigeria. Journal of Agribusiness in Developing and Emerging Economies 8, 54-76.
- Pyrotis, S., Abayomi, L. A., Rees, D. and Orchard, J. E. (2015). Effects of force on the development of dry bruise on strawberry fruit. 1st International conference for postharvest loss reduction. Rome, Italy 4th-7th Oct 2015 (Poster presentation).
- Abayomi, L. A. Quality of high quality cassava flour (HQCF) in Nigeria. National Stakeholders' Forum on Cassava Bread, Nigeria, October, 2013 (Oral presentation).
- Abayomi, L. A., Sandifolo, V., Naziri, D., Kaitano, V and Shaw, M. Cassava Adding Value for Africa (C: AVA II) investment study (2013). NRI project report
- Shittu,T, Egwunyenga, R, Sanni, L and Abayomi, L (2013). Bread from composite plantain-wheat flour: I. Effect of plantain fruit maturity and flour mixture on dough rheology and fresh loaf qualities. Journal of Food Processing and Preservation.
- Naziri, D., L., Abayomi, L., Sandifolo, V., Kaitano, V. and Sergeant, A. (2013). Market opportunities for cassava in Malawi. NRI project report.
- Naziri, D., Sergeant, A., Graffham, A., Sanni, L., Abayomi, L. and Siwoku, B. (2013). Market opportunities for cassava in Nigeria. C:AVA NRI project report.
- Pyrotis, S., Abayomi, L. A., Rees, D. and Orchard, J. E. (2012). Effect of temperature and humidity on strawberry firmness at two different sites in the Huelva Region of Spain. Acta Horticulturae. 926, 567-570
- Adebayo, K., Abayomi, L. Abass, A. Dziedzoave, N. T., Forsythe, L. Hillocks, R. J. Gensi, R., Gibson, R. W., Graffham, A. J., Ilona, P., Kleih, U. K., Lamboll, R. I., Mahende, G., Martin, A. M., Onumah, G. E., Orr, A. W., Posthumus, H., Sanni, L. O., Sandifolo, V. and Westby, A (2010). Challenges for extension services in the sustainable inclusion of smallholders in the emerging high quality cassava flour value chains in Africa. Journal of Agricultural Extension, 14: 1.
- Abayomi, L. A., Alacho, F. and Kirya, M. (2010). Evaluating the root causes of variable HQCF quality arising from group processing in Uganda. NRI project report.
- Terry, L.A., Bordonaba, J. G. and Abayomi, L. A. (2010). Development and optimisation of amperometric biosensors for improved postharvest quality control. Acta Hort. 877, 927-932.
- Pyrotis, S., Abayomi, L., D. Rees, D. and Orchard, J. Effect of temperature and humidity on strawberry firmness at two different sites in the Huelva region of Spain. XXVIII International Horticultural Congress on Science and Horticulture for People (IHC2010): International Symposium on Berries: From Genomics to Sustainable Production, Quality and Health, Lisbon, Portugal 22-24th August 2010 (Poster presentation).
- Abayomi, L. A. (2009). Technical and Quality Evaluation of Cassava Flour Processing and End-Use Market Requirements in Malawi. NRI project Report.
- Bordonaba, J. G., Terry, L. A. and Abayomi, L. A. (April, 2009) Development and optimisation of amperometric biosensors for improved soft fruit quality control. 6th International Postharvest Symposium, Turkey (Oral presentation).
- Abayomi, L. A. and Terry, L. A. (2009). Implications of spatial and temporal changes in concentration of pyruvate and glucose in onion (Allium cepa L.) bulbs during controlled atmosphere storage. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture 89, 683-687.
- Abayomi, L. A. and Terry, L. A. (2007). A pyruvate dehydrogenase-based amperometric biosensor for assessing pungency in onions (Allium cepa L.). Sensing and instrumentation for food quality and safety 1, 183-187.
- Abayomi, L. A. Terry, L. A. White, S. F. Warner, P. J. (2006). Development of a disposable pyruvate biosensor to determine pungency in onions (Allium cepa L.). Biosensors and Bioelectronics 21, 2176-2179.
- Abayomi, L.A. and Terry, L.A. (2006). Development of two disposable pyruvate biosensors to determine pungency in onion. National Allium Research Conference (NARC), 7-8 December, College Station, Texas, USA